In order to issue Smart Card certificates to users, you must have the following:
- Microsoft Windows Server is installed (2008, 2012, SBS)
- A Domain Controller has been configured
- The DNS server is configured with the correct domain name
- Microsoft Windows Certificate Services is installed in Enterprise mode
- There is an enrollment station PC joined to the domain with a smart card reader and mini-driver installed
It is especially important the the DNS is configured correctly, otherwise the client PCs will not be able to find the require certificate CRL.